Life in Japan

Status of Residence
(Zairyu Shikaku)

The status of residence and the period of stay are determined for foreigners upon entering Japan. Foreigners are authorized to engage in certain limited activities during their stay in Japan based on their status of residence. The period of stay is also regulated according to the status of residence. When your status of residence is “Student,” you are authorized to engage in certain limited activities based on the status of“Student.”

Residence Card
(Zairyu Card)

A residence card is issued to mid-to-long term foreign residents when granted landing permission at immigration along with a landing permission certificate (label) affixed to the passport. However, issuance of a residence card at the time of entry into Japan is limited to Narita, Haneda, Chubu, and Kansai International Airports. If your port of entry into Japan is not one of the above, you will receive a residence card via postal mail after submitting a move-in notification at the local city hall. The residence card contains a portrait photo of the individual, basic personal information, status of residence, and period of stay. Please carry your residence card with you at all times during your stay in Japan. In case your residence card is lost or stolen, please apply for reissuance at a Regional Immigration Bureau within 14 days of the date when you noticed the loss.

Work Permit
(Shikakugai Katsudo Kyoka)

According to Paragraph 2, Article 19 of the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act, when a foreign national intends to run business or engage in an activity that yields remuneration that is not permitted under the applicant’s current status of residence, the foreign national must fill in the necessary application forms (“Application for Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted") with documents attached if necessary, and submit them at a regional immigration office. When the permission is granted, a statement of approval will be printed on the back of the residence card. *You can apply for this permit following acquisition of landing permission at the port of entry when entering Japan, if you have been granted the status of residence of “Student.

Special Re-entry Permit
(Minashi Sai-nyuukoku Kyoka)

When a foreign national who has a valid passport and resident card departs from Japan and re-enters within 1 year of the departure, a foreign national will not be required to apply for a re-entry permit. This is called the “Special Re-entry Permit System.” Please be sure to present a residence card and tick the column on the departure card to indicate the intention of departing by this system For more information, please visit at

*If you leave Japan temporarily, please be sure to inform the Center of International Studies at TGU of your trip details such as a departure date, return date, and destination, as well as emergency contact information.

Emergency Contact





Natural Disasters

Japan is known as having many natural disasters such as earthquakes, typhoons, and so on. It is very important to be prepared and know what to do and how to protect yourself. You can find the guidelines for disaster prevention on the website of OFIX (Osaka Foundation of International Exchange).

(Top page → Creation of a Supportive Environment for Foreigners → Disaster Prevention Related Info)

Move-in Notification (Tennyu Todoke)

A move-in notification must be submitted to the nearest municipal office within 14 days from the date you arrive in Japan (Juumin-Toroku). A move-out notification must be submitted before leaving Japan for good.

National Health Insurance

Foreign residents who reside in Japan for more than 3 months and have registered as residents at a local city hall are required to enroll in the National Health Insurance System. Once enrolled, you are not allowed to withdraw from the insurance for your own personal reasons. When an insurance holder receives medical treatment for an illness or injury, the holder must show their insurance card and will be responsible to pay 30% of the total medical care costs. However, please note that some treatments are not covered by the National Health Insurance. The premium will be calculated based on a holder’s income from the previous year and the payment of insurance premium is the responsibility of each insurance holder.

Living Guide

Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan provides various information about Japan.